Haggards Crowther proudly sponsor The Mono Box


Paying your Income Tax

Paying your Income Tax

A reminder from Haggards Crowther to pay your Income Tax...

 This is a courtesy note to remind you of the payment methods for paying your income tax to H.M. Revenue & Customs. The deadline for the payment is Friday 31st January 2014 (in two days!).

When making your payment, whether online, or by sending a cheque, you should provide your Unique Tax Reference followed by "K". You can either write it on the back of your cheque, or in the reference box if you are making the payment online.

Your Unique Tax Reference (UTR) is the 10 digit number found ...


New Website - how do we look?

We are delighted to be able to share our new website with you!

As you can see we have been very busy lately, working with our agency Yard Partners, to put together a brand new website with a new and fresh design which most importantly, makes it easier for you to find what you’re looking for, whether is personal tax or Year End accounts, it’s all there.

Extended Service information

We think it’s important that our clients are not left in the dark so with that in mind we have extended the material on our site so ...


VAT scam letter

VAT scam letter

This is the latest scam letter we have seen. If you receive one, put it in the bin! Do not register and certainly do not pay £320!

It goes without saying that if you get any official looking letter about tax; show it to us before you do anything, especially if it involves parting with hard earned cash.


Overdrawn director loan accounts

To understand overdrawn director loan accounts, we first need to cover why they exist.


The situation arises most regularly in owner managed businesses where the business owner has been advised that the best way to minimise the tax burden is to draw a minimum salary (£7,020 in 2011/12), and take any further amounts due in dividends.

To declare a dividend, one of the requirements of the Companies Act is that the company has sufficient “reserves” to do so.

“Reserves” in a small business can be defined in one of two ways:

  1. The accumulated profit in the business ...

Do owner managed companies need to register at HMRC for payroll?

If you are the owner of a small business and you trade through a limited company, it is likely that you are set up with a salary for 2011/12 of around £7,020 per annum (2010/11: £5,700). The remainder of your drawings from the company will then be by way of dividend.

This is good tax planning and ensures that you pay as little tax as possible when corporation tax and personal tax liabilities are combined.

Salaries are set at this level for a good reason: It is the maximum salary that can be drawn such that ...


Tax update from Peter - Autumn 2011

  1. Lower corporate tax rates are staying; and the 20% corporation tax rate is an attractive alternative to being taxed as a sole trader.

  2. From 5 April 2011, private car business usage claims are now at the rate of 45 pence per business mile.  If you do say 3,000 miles on business trips annually, you are owed £1,350 by your company. If your employer does not reimburse you, you can make a similar claim to HMRC.

  3. Company cars remain expensive because of the taxes imposed for personal use.  Avoid buying a car through your company unless it has emissions ...


Haggards Crowther Summer Newsletter

Welcome to the Haggards Crowther newsletter.

We very much hope that our newsletters will be of interest to you. In this quarter's newsletter:

  • Technical Update: If you own a limited company and use commercial child care
  • Haggards Crowther News: Welcome to George Parker
  • Client Focus: Little Jack Horners

In addition to quarterly newsletters, we will also be sending occasional technical updates and reminders. If you have any comments or queries, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Technical Update: If you own a limited company and use commercial child care

If you are a director of a limited ...